Membership sites are online environments that allow people with a common interest to come together to enjoy information, networking and other online interaction. For many years, they’ve been a popular, convenient and much sought-after business model for selling products and services. Either a one-time fee or a recurring subscription, many have built successful businesses from creating membership sites and will continue to do so well into the future.
People join these sites for many reasons. Some join because they want access to a particular product as many are sold on a subscription basis. Some join to learn about a particular subject. Others join to network and share what they know with fellow members. Today, with the advent of newer and simpler technologies, it’s easier than ever to create these environments. As someone who has built membership sites for others using Wishlist, a wordpress plugin, creating membership sites is still as popular as ever.
Why YOU Might Want to Build a Membership Site
Why create a membership site? There are dozens of reasons. And, this might be the year you decide to do just that.
1. Position yourself as an expert. The minute you set yourself up as the CEO of your own membership site is the minute you’re labeled an expert. Of course, you need to continually “prove” that by providing high value, high quality content. This model can provide a way for you to share your knowledge and expertise and get paid for it!
2. Learn more about your OWN niche. It sounds odd, however, there’s no better way to deepen your knowledge of a topic than by teaching others. A membership site will continually challenge you to grow in your area of interest especially if you’ve designed a site where you continually add new content for your subscribers.
3. Sell your product. Yes, you can create a membership site around a product. It matters not whether this is a one-time or recurring fee model. Typically, a recurring fee model is used for technology-based products.
For example, I use a product called Audio Acrobat. It’s amazing! I use it for all sorts of things that many have never thought of. This tool allows me to make audio recordings, backups, call-in lines and all sorts of other things. And their support team is awesome! They host all my audios, too, and a lot more. To find out more, visit http://taraloves.me/audioacrobat. This product, which is also a service, is sold as a monthly subscription and well worth every penny! I’ve been a customer for many years and highly recommend this product.
4. Sell your service. Yes, you can sell coaching and other services through a membership site as well. Imagine providing pre-work, specific items you use with all your clients and other value- added materials in a well-organized and professionally presented way. A membership site can help you with that. You create it once and then you can use it over and over again.
5. Sell your courses. Membership sites are perfect for delivering courses in modular format. You’ll definitely want to check out the link below for a product that will help you do just that! I’ve taken dozens and dozens of courses that have been delivered thru a membership model. By integrating written, audio and visual material, you, too, can create a high-quality, engaging site that will apply to all learning styles!
6. Connect with others. If you want to surround yourself with people who share a common interest, staring a membership site might be the perfect opportunity.
7. Create income. If you design your site around a monthly or annual subscription model, you’ll be able to create more consistent revenue streams as long as you maintain membership levels.
Know “why” you’re doing” what” you’re doing. It’s important to clarify to yourself why you want to start a membership site. It’s the passion around your reason or reasons which will help carry you through the challenging times that affect any business.
I won’t say that building a membership site into a successful one is easy. That would depend on many factors, many outside of your control. Just like anything else in life, there are no guarantees and hard work is likely required.
I believe that by offering what people want (not what you want) combined with a strong vision and hard work, that you, too, can create what one day is a successful membership site.
Looking for coaching and consulting around starting a membership site? I offer two different coaching packages where we can discuss your idea. Connect with me at http://www.tarakachaturoff.com . 1 and 2 hour pre-paid coaching packages are available.