Let’s explore 10 things to get rid of today. This isn’t the time to wax nostalgic. It’s declutter time! Clutter is all about the past. It’s time to let it go so you can live in the present and embrace the future.
And, please don’t even think of selling this stuff. You’ll spend a ridiculous amount of time and money trying to make money — and you won’t.
Get rid of the clutter now. Making excuses to prevent you from doing what needs to be done is called procrastination. If you want a better life, you must take deliberate action.
Grab a trash bag and let’s get started!
1. Throw away your junk mail. Junk mail is called junk for a reason. Don’t prolong its lifespan by keeping it around. It’s of no use to you or others. Stop wasting your time and energy looking at it, moving it around, or allowing it to take up space. Create a new habit to open all your mail immediately, and then throw everything away except for bills.
2. Get rid of your broken, ugly or out-of-style jewelry. You know you’re never going to fix broken things and you’re never going to wear ugly jewelry. Don’t even waste your time trying to sell it. Either throw it in the donation bag or trash it now.
3. No one needs an old calendar and that includes you. Last year is over — no need to remember it. Let go of the past so you can step into the future.
4. Ditch the duplicates. You don’t need two copies of this, or three items of that. Rid your home of duplicates of anything. Either put them in the donation bag or throw them away. Done and done!
5. Do you have perfume bottles that are almost empty? If you’re down to the last drops of your favorite scents, throw them out. Perfume degrades after time — best not to use it. It’s time for them to go!
6. Never keep or use old makeup. The chemicals degrade over time and it’s not safe to use them on your face or body. Throw it out and buy fresh supplies.
7. Donate or discard toys or games that you or your children have outgrown. You’ve enjoyed them and now it’s time to say goodbye.
8. Get rid of any clothes that have holes in them. If you haven’t read the book “Broken Windows,” it’s a must- read. In the meantime, get rid of old, worn-out clothing. If you want to squeeze any last remnants of value, cut them up to use as cleaning rags. They served their value and now it’s time to say “Adios!”
9. Stop saving empty boxes. They take up space, they gather dust, and they serve no useful purpose. Stop thinking you’re going to use them one day. You aren’t. Gather all your old boxes, flatten them and put them out in the garbage.
10. Get rid of any books you’ve read or are unlikely to read in the next 90 days. I love books and even I trained myself to discard them. If they’re still usable, donate them to the library. If not, throw them away where they will be recycled. If you suffer from allergies or other respiratory issues, the worst thing you can do is keep old books. They accumulate dust, sometimes mold, and they degrade over time. Let them go now!
I challenge you to set a timer for 10 minutes for each of these areas. See how much you can get rid of in that short amount of time. You’ll be surprised by how a small commitment can reap great rewards.
There you have it — 10 things you can get rid of today.
Clutter can stand in the way of accomplishing your dreams. It can keep you stuck in your business, stalled in your career, or miserable in your home. It doesn’t need to be that way. There’s a way out and you don’t need to find it alone.
If you’re ready to declutter your life so you can free up your mind and energy to pursue your heart’s desire, let’s chat!
Next Steps …
Lighten your life and your load. Find out how working with a coach can help you create a path forward that activates your gifts and talents, energizes your soul, and aligns you with your life purpose.
Make yourself a priority! Connect with me on LinkedIn or send me a note at https://www.tarahelpdesk.com and we’ll schedule time to talk. The only way to get things done is by taking action. The time to start is now!
Tara Alexandra Kachaturoff
Coaching entrepreneurs since 2002
Michigan Entrepreneur TV: Creator, Producer, Host
Let’s Connect the Dots: